Another Status update post.
Its been about 3 months since starting my new job. I get to work on a lot of devops-y type of tasks, which is fun, and a much more positive life change.
Quick rundown on some things I've completed so far, in no order of importance. Possibly future topics
- Learn to get used to using OS X as my primary development system
- Get familiar with using Homebrew for installing packages
- Play with Ansible in an OS X environment
- Beginning to use Chef to manage the team's testing environment.
- Learn about Fluentd, to process development logs (and run arbitrary commands based on events. Lots here to talk about)
- A lot of Docker! Docker-machine, Docker-compose with Virtualbox, then native Docker engine (1.12) in OS X
- Some integrating of Eclipse and Docker via Docker Tooling plugin. (Perhaps more to talk about in the future)
- AWS. Just getting familiar with this environment. Mostly S3, EC2, ECR, CloudFront, so far...
- Shippable for CI. (They use containers for building our github check-ins. I think this is an interesting service)
- Blackbox frontend testing with Selenium and Appium
Topics outside of tech I've been spending time doing
- Working on the house (I don't have a functional workshop yet, but soon)
- Time and goal management
- Watching a lot of YouTube
- Getting more involved with many social media type apps
It's always been a goal of mine to make this blog something to hold myself accountable. So even if it is a post once in a while, I want to get my voice out there. In an effort to post more often, I'll be experimenting with this space to post non-tech stuff that hopefully brings some value.